Friday, April 25, 2008

I love technology!

So after spending 10 plus hours on the road yesterday, I get home to reports of a dead home computer. Upon further review this morning, the computer is not dead, but surge protector is fried. Trip one to Best Buy to get a more robust Surge protector with battery backup. Still no Internet connection. After several calls, trip number two, down to Time Warner to get a replacement Modem (was not on the surge protector, crap). Now I have hard wire connectivity after two more calls to initialize the modem. Trip number three, back to Best Buy to get a new wireless router and a second surge protector. A mere $300, three trips out and twelve hours later, we are a connected house again with all PCs operational, Yipee!

Now here's the question to ponder....

Let me set the stage. The problem affected two different circuits (aka different breakers) in the house. On one circuit, one outlet with two surge protectors, and only one surge protector is fried. On the other circuit, only the modem and wireless router blew up. No other damage to anything else in the house, no electrical storms for months. None of my neighbors had anything similar nor did they see anything funny with power.

What happened??

Gremlins, that's all I'm saying.

Like I said you have to love technology (or not). At least I got to remember how much of my troubleshooting technique I have forgotten over the last few years. Three trips out is embarrassing.......

1 Comments:

At April 27, 2008 at 5:41 AM , Blogger Size Me said...

Scary! I'm in the midst of writing my terms papers right now..I have no ink at home, so I am saving everything in three places, lest my computer and my "plugger" (zip drive) all fail, I will always have my BC webspace. There is something funny about spending hours and hours creating something, like a document, and at the end of the day, you still have nothing tangible to hold in your hand, unless you print. Talk about a leap of faith when turning the computer off.
Sight..back to the old virtual reality/embodiment debate... do I have something REAL if the paper I compose for days somehow gets destroyed because of computer/equipment failure? Probably not, as far as the assignment and professor are concerned.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home