Sunday, April 13, 2008

Contemplations on Blogging

I'm glad to have spent time exploring the blogosphere this term. I've encountered many interesting blogs where people are seemingly posting thoughts/perspectives that are truly worth contemplating. Blogging is a great way to catch a glimpse into different modes of thinking and being that I know I would not necessarily have access to otherwise, so this is very good. That said I have seen plenty of what I would deem as junk. I'm not suggesting that this is a fault or symptom of the medium though as there is certainly a mix of good and junk on TV as well. Anyway, Richard commented this week on how time consuming blogging can be. I agree wholeheartedly with that as I have a tendency to actually follow links and can get lost for hours after which, I am hard pressed to be able to identify what of value I had just read/accomplished.

So I come back to context and audience. Why are bloggers posting in the first place? Is it to start a dialogue or simply publish thoughts via an online journal? The answer to this question then determines whether or not the author has a specific audience in mind or not. I still think that there are great uses for blogging, but as with most things, it is a tool that should be used to support/encourage a process, not act as the process. I read another post here where Drew seems to be contemplating something similar.

Lastly, I am pondering relationships and how far we can really go in creating authentic relationships without the benefit of physical presence (i.e. touch). I really appreciated our class discussion on this last week, and am finding myself researching more on this topic. I hope to share some findings on this in the last weeks of class. For now, this blogger needs to have some physical contact/presence in order to fully appreciate and experience the relationship. For me as I think ahead to my ministry, I hope that my heightened awareness of the importance of the physical, is something that I remain mindful of when counseling to my parishioners.

1 Comments:

At April 14, 2008 at 6:49 AM , Blogger Drew Tatusko said...

There is a group of women ministers called the revagalblogpals.

They post and comment to give each other mutual support. But they do make an intentional effort to gather, literally as in face to face, on occasion.

Touch is important to nourish a relationship. Without it you lose intimacy and there is something more "true" about a relationship that is physical as well as mental.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home